RIEP Forum is an opportunity for connection and collaboration to support the social, environmental and economic health of BC's rural island communities.
Join 100+ fellow rural island movers, shakers & innovators on Gabriola Island, April 25-27th to Connect + Reflect + ACT!
Be part of co-creating healthy and resilient island and coastal communities. Bring your voice and energy to one of the most picturesque and ‘unplugged’ retreat settings in BC!
Early Bird Rates End On April 7th!
Connect + Reflect + ACT!
The 2023 Forum program consists of the following:
Keynote & Plenary Panels on Indigenous Business & Reconciliation, Climate Change, Housing Lessons Learned, and Rural Island Values
Interactive Panels, Sector Showcases & Action Labs — on topics from Food Resilience, Sea Farming and the Circular Economy, to Alternative Transportation, Regenerative Tourism and Social Enterprise
Live music, social events, and other 'unconference' activities
The Forum is for:
- Freelancers, work-from-home consultants, start-up founders & solopreneurs
- Small business & tourism owner-operators
- Artists and cultural creators
- Food, beverage, and other artisan producers
Community Stakeholders & Island Allies:
- From island ecdev orgs, chambers of commerce, non-profits & other NGOs
- Indigenous Community leaders
- Island government representatives
- Provincial and federal government staff
About the 2023 Forum
- All meals are provided as part of your Forum registration, including options for a wide range of dietary preferences.
- If you can…leave your car at home…transfers between the Gabriola ferry terminal, The Haven and select accommodations will be provided.
- Your Forum registration does not include travel to or accommodations on Gabriola Island — see next sections for information.
Sponsor The Forum
Opportunities remain to sponsor the 2023 Forum, at levels ranging from $350-$5,000.
- Review the 2023 RIEP Forum Sponsorship Prospectus.
- Contact the Sponsorship Team — let's talk!
Contact The Forum Info Hub
Email our Forum Info Hub for help registering for the 2023 Forum, or for questions about the RIEP Forum Volunteer Planning Committee.
Shared & Private Options
Our host The Haven can accommodate about half of Forum participants in shared and private rooms (single, double, triple, quad).
Follow these two steps to book your Gabriola accommodations:
- Read our page on The Haven & Gabriola Accommodations
- Visit The Haven Booking Site
Traveling to Gabriola & The Haven
- 20-min sailing time from Nanaimo Harbour to Gabriola Island ferry terminal
- Morning sailings to Gabriola from Nanaimo Harbour: 9:20, 9:55, 10:30, 11:05, 11:40
- Driving distance to Nanaimo Harbour from: Departure Bay (8 mins), Duke Point (15 mins), Swartz Bay (1 hr 45 m)
- See BC Ferries sailing schedules for more!
We will be providing a shuttle service between the Gabriola ferry terminal and The Haven on April 25th, and to and from select accommodations—leave the car at home!
Visit our Transportation page for more information about inter-island and on-island transportation.
Expert-led presentations with facilitated discussion on key issues, needs, directions and opportunities related to the socio-economic well-being of the islands and the coast.
Moderated discussions featuring panelists with particular knowledge of and/or expertise related to a timely topic or theme.
'Idea exchange’ working sessions on topics flowing from the panels with participants proposing recommendations for transformative action.
Opportunities to learn about programs, services, success stories that benefit the rural islands and coastal communities.
Facilitated conversations with members of key economic sectors - the arts, tourism, health & wellness, food and beverage producers to connect and share common needs and challenges.
Coffee Cafes / Energy Breaks / Chats & Snacks
Informal, participant-driven opportunities for networking on topics and themes flowing out of Forum programs.