- This event has passed.
Connection Café – 25 Jan 2022
January 25, 2022 @ 5:00 pm - 6:30 pmFree
January’s CONNECTION CAFÉ includes a lively and facilitated roundtable dialogue + Q & A with rural island arts movers, shakers and makers.
Across the Indigenous and non-Indigenous communities of BC’s rural islands – from Cortes, Denman and Hornby, to Gabriola, Pender, and Salt Spring, to Bowen, Cormorant, Quadra, Malcolm, and beyond, these islands have long been home to unique, vibrant, and creative arts communities.
The artists and artisans of these communities are cultural leaders as well as contributors to the ongoing economic vitality of their individual islands. Most often reflected in inspirational and innovative programming for residents and visitors alike.
The January Roundtable includes an exploration of the arts on BC's rural islands, featuring perspectives from arts leaders representing Gabriola, Hornby, Malcolm and Salt Spring Islands. They will be sharing their experiences, successes, knowledge and concerns about the current and future vitality of the arts culture on BC's rural islands.
RIEP is excited to welcome:
- Yael Wand, Executive Director, Salt Spring Arts
- Mary-Louise Albert, Artistic Executive Director, BCMovement & Art Society - Malcolm Island
- Andrew Mark, Executive Director, Hornby Arts
- Carol Fergusson, Executive Director, Gabriola Arts
Gain an insider’s view of how the ‘arts work’ in the ‘new normal’. Including exploration for how to:
- Identify regional arts & cultural facilities with available ongoing advocacy and programming
- Understand what constitutes as an “arts-friendly” community and what resources are required
- Learn about current arts & tourism initiatives
- Recognize community champions of our local artistic and cultural heritage
- Value the impact of art and understanding the economic, community and individual benefits
- Future proof our islands arts communities in a post-covid world
- Directly engage with fellow artists, facilitators, service providers and community leaders
- Strengthen collaboration and rural arts network opportunities