Work with us!
Opportunity for creative communicators and community builders
Does the thought of making connections, building bridges and driving innovative solutions to today’s most pressing challenges excite you? Then you must read on…
We are excited to welcome a Communications & Community Engagement Coordinator to our crew! Join us to co-create engaging stories, design meaningful dialogue and forge the partnerships that celebrate BC’s rural islands and its vibrant communities. Be part of the charge to promote the vision of the Rural Islands Economic Partnerships (RIEP).
Our Vision: A thriving alliance of diverse rural island communities sustained through a united voice; shared values; social, economic and cultural well-being; environmental stewardship; and collaborative strength.
This role will help develop communication materials and the outreach calendar for RIEP programs and events, as well as support RIEP’s signature social enterprise, Rising Tide Business Services. Key to the position is the ability to support the engagement of a robust online and offline community dedicated to the sustainability and vitality of BC’s 18+ rural island communities.
Responsibilities: (what are the activities or tasks that you will be doing?)
• Co-lead program communications
• Plan, write and schedule social media (Instagram and Facebook – a little Twitter)
• Write, edit and format program-related communications materials and events
• Update websites using Word Press and Wix (after a solid orientation)
• Create newsletters using Constant Contact
• Design graphics for promotional materials – mostly for digital presentation
• Use graphic design for storytelling and digital engagement
• Champion and represent our social media communities – sharing insights and trends in community feedback to inform content and strategies
• Curate social media content from across 18+ Rural Islands for sharing on RIEP channels
- Inspire dialogue and post resources to Rural Island FB Group
- Support internal and external communications for the upcoming RIEP Forum in April of 2023.
- *Bonus if you have photography, videography or editing skills, (but not required)
Approach and Experience: (where are you coming from?)
• Experience or interest in building relationships and uplifting small business and non-profits in rural and remote communities.
• Alignment with RIEP’s vision of collaboration and co-operation across island communities
• Strong writing skills, adept at adapting writing to a variety of mediums (social media content writing, website copy, grants and reports)
• Strong editing and formatting skills, experience with collaborative writing Social media skills using different platforms
• Graphic design skills: an eye for visuals, comfortable with using Canva
• Branding skills (asset, not required): experience creating business branding (e.g. logo, food labels)
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively
What you excel at:
• Excellent English writing and editing skills which can be applied to various communications (e.g., news releases, submissions, reports, flyers, speaking notes, web or digital content, etc.)
• Must have knowledge and skill in the use of communications software, including publishing and design software and web design software such as Adobe Creative Suite and Canva.
• Additional skills and familiarity with other relevant software packages would be considered an asset (including video editing software, other design packages, social media tools, etc.)
• Basic to intermediate graphic design and layout skills
• Knowledge of and experience using a variety of social media platforms as a business communications tool
• Excellent interpersonal skills required to work and communicate with internal staff, RIEP members, elected leaders, government officials, stakeholders and RIEP partners
• Ability to think strategically
• Ability to work independently
• Ability to coordinate multiple tasks with conflicting duties and timelines
• Ability to anticipate problems and respond with solutions
• Ability to realistically envision deliverables, coordinate and balance workflow to meet deadlines
About the Role:
• Engagement is a contract position for 9 months with possibility of extension to be discussed mid-contract.
• Prefer candidates who have lived in or worked on BC’s rural islands, coastal and rural communities.
• Reports to: Sherese Johnson, Manager Business Development and Marketing
• Location: Flexible schedule, work from home with a mix of virtual and very few in-person meetings. and co-working sessions, as needed. Location TBD
• Term: Part-time contract (ongoing pending fit and funding)
• Compensation: $31.25/hour for 20 hours a week
• Extended benefits: Access to digital marketing tools and software during the duration of your contract.
• We encourage applications from diverse backgrounds. We are committed to ensuring all team members feel they are able to bring their whole selves to their role and feel supported to succeed.
• Ideal Start Date: November 28, 2022
Submit to Attention: Communications and Community Engagement Coordinator via email firstname.lastname@example.org with one pdf file including your cover letter (maximum 1 page) and resume (maximum 3 pages) by 5 pm PDT on Friday, Nov. 25, 2022.
- Please email with questions or to chat about opportunity. We welcome conversation and clarity!